13 July 2011

Fieldhouse Blues


It has recently come to my attention that students who pay full tuition during the fall and spring semesters at Utah State University do not have access to the exercise or recreation facilities during the summer unless they pay a seperate athletic fee similar to the one paid by summer students. This is garbage! Since my entry into Utah State University in the fall of 2009, I have paid around $1600 in student fees, a large chunk of which goes to athletics. In one of my articles last year, I blasted the art department based on principal for increasing general student fees so they could improve. Many people used athletic fees as a cop out saying "we spend all this money on athletics, don't the arts deserve a little more?" I fiercely defended the student athletic fees saying the amenities are wonderful, and they reach a larger audience. However, now that I see that full-time traditional students can't use the athletic facilities while spending their summer in Logan desperately trying to earn enough money to pay tuition, I must cry foul. Shame on whoever made this decision to punish those that have to work during the summer to pay for their education.

A recent change went into effect that may kick the billiards club and all billiards classes out of the fieldhouse in favor of a cross-fit class. I wrote an article condeming this change and hope that the new leadership at ASUSU heard my plea, as well as the petition signed by hundreds. It seems a little ironic that the same University would deny these facilities to most of the student body during the summer months when they make such foolish changes in the name of better physical fitness for the students. For me, I have more time during the summer to work out than I do during the school year, so that is when most of my working out takes place for the year. While this is not the best work out schedule for my health, I have a feeling many students have the same prediciment.

So, in essence, the school is denying us the privileges that we pay thousands of dollars for just because we aren't paying for any classes during the summer. This is lame and unfair. I hope you all feel the same.

Discuss!

2 comments:

  1. I think the Low Down blog is a fantastic idea- just so you know.
    And even though I'm not in Logan over the summer, I agree. The fieldhouse must be ridiculously empty during the summer anyhow, they could afford to allow current students in for free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true that is! I do agree with you Tyler, I think that it is lame.
    But also, don't think that the "Athletics" (I put in quotes because although the field house and HYPER are athletic type buildings they are funded a little differently) anyways... don't think that they aren't talking about putting up a new building with cool better stuff, because they are. Your money will be well spent...ish... :D
    Thanks for blogging on it.

    ReplyDelete